HIVE centralized workstation
The HIVE is a high-end centralized workstation for image-processing, High-Performance Computing (HPC) / GPU-computing (ex : Deep Learning) and big data-storage.
Computational power and secure storage
It features powerful computational resources (multi-core CPU, large RAM, one or more GPUs) with large and secure data-storage (RAID), optimal for demanding applications and multi-user settings (imaging-platforms, microscopy and life-science labs…).
No need to copy/move files around, your data is always available from any laptop/pc in-house or distantly via secured remote-desktop connection.
Users and administrator-friendly
The HIVE is powered by a familiar Windows operating system, with a dedicated ACQUIFER Dashboard for administrators.
Sustainable and silent
Designed for 24/7 operation, with built-in uninterruptible power supply and silent cooling. The HIVE fits in any lab or office space.
A modular system for maximum flexibility
6 available modules:
- CORE for Processing
- NET for Communication
- DATA for Storage
- GPU for AI/DL
- SAT for Compute
- BACKUP for Safety
2 times more productive
1 scalable solution
HIVE MODULE CONFIGURATION
The HIVE is a modular platform optimized for image processing and data handling. For each facility we combine the corresponding HIVE modules for optimal data processing efficiency. If you require more storage, processing power, dedicated network bandwidth or a custom solution, we can simply add more modules at any time.
HIGH SPEED MICROSCOPE EXAMPLE
- Lightsheet microscope
- Large format sCMOS
- Laser scanning
- confocal, Spinning disk, Screening microscope
- 3 HIVE modules recommended
SMALL CORE FACILITY EXAMPLE
- 1 to 2 rooms
- up to 5 microscopes
- replaces 3 image analysis workstations
- 3 HIVE modules recommended
MEDIUM CORE FACILITY EXAMPLE
- 3 to 4 rooms
- 5 to 10 microscopes
- replaces 5 image analysis workstations
- 4-5 HIVE modules recommended (depending on microscopes)
LARGE CORE FACILITY EXAMPLE
- 4 to n rooms
- 15 microscopes
- replaces > 5 image analysis workstations
- 5-6 HIVE modules recommended (depending on microscopes)
HIVE WITH BACKUP
- a distant installed HIVE or
- to the local Central Data Repository.
PROCESSING & ANALYSIS
The HIVE´s operating System is Windows 2019 Server.
Highly stable to work with huge amount of data and flexible basis for almost all Win7/8/10/11 software applications. Our selected processors balance the requirements for multi user usage and optimal image analysis relying on high count rates and vast number of cores. Typical analysis software packages are e.g. :
For packages requiring multicore processing or in need of specific high-end-GPU we recommend HIVE CORE with:
HIVE has been approved to host the cloud based image storage and analysis software package VisionHub.
Our integrated software solution centralizes and simplifies typical administrators tasks for non-IT users:
- System status
- Projects administration
- Centralized toolbox
- Monitoring of storage status
- For HIVE CORE and HIVE DATA
- Early identification of broken hard-drives
- Alert functionality
- System fans status
- System temperature (CPU, GPU, mainboard etc)
- Network status
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) status
- Generate, manage or delete Windows users
- Management of user-permissions
- Granting of remote access
- Permanent and temporary users
- E-mail notifications to users with credentials
- Share project folders with subset of users
- Generate, manage or delete projects
- Assign users to projects
- Users notifications when granted access to shared project
THE HIVE MODULES
A HIVE is a modular system based on multiple building blocks. Each one is an optimized unit for one of the three key data handling tasks in imaging & microscopy applications: Computation – Networking – Storage.
HIVE CORE FOR DATA PROCESSING
- High-Performance CPU & GPU for best image processing & analysis
- VPN based remote desktop access
- 2×10 Gbit/s copper or 2×10 Gbit/s optical fibre (optional)
- Up to 2 TB DDR4 RAM
- 10TB SSD safe data storage with RAID5
- 2,2 GHz 10-core CPU
- 128 GB DDR4 RAM
- Nvidia Quadro RTX A4000
- Windows Server 2019
- 10 TB SSD RAID5
- 500 GB NVMe SSD for page file
- 2×10 Gb Network
HIVE NET FOR NETWORKING AND SECURITY
- Integrated router and firewall to create a secure HIVE network for hosting the connected devices
- 10Gbit/s 16-Port Network Switch with a 320GB/s backbone to ensure a reliable exchange of large data sets
- UPS battery buffered power stability system to stabilize the power supply and to ensure a safe shutdown in case of power outage to prevent loss of data
- Security and firewall provided by router
- 320 Gb/s backbone
- 10 Gb router
- Battery backup for data safety
- VPN Access
HIVE DATA DATA REPOSITORY
- RAID6 secure data storage with fast access to large data
- File system optimized for large data storage, reliable access to your data and maximum system stability
- User friendly operation through standard Windows functionality with no need for specialized IT knowledge
- Open Design allows for easy up-scaling of storage volume
- RAID6 array in 52 – 234 TB modules
- Connectivity via Host Bus Adapter @ 4x 12Gbit/sec
- Plug-and-play expansion of storage
- Data collection rates starting from 800 MB/s
- Hotswap disk replacement
HIVE GPU RENDERING / AI UNIT
- GPU extender box
- no special driver needed
- up to 3 HIVE GPU for a single HIVE CORE
- HIVE CORE synchronised power on / off
- 1500 W power supply
- PCIe x16 exteneder
- Up to 5 single or 4 double sized GPUs
- Up to 504 TFLOPS
- standalone processing
- optimized for CPU
- single user environment
- 128 GB RAM
- 2×18 TB RAID 1
- 2 TB NVMe
- NVIDIA RTX A6000
- 2×100 GBit HIVE CORE uplink
- 2x 10 Gbit ethernet
- standalone backup
- proprietary software
- ransomware protection
- from 80 TB to 3×384 TB raw
- 10 Gbit interface
- UPS backup
- 15 units rack
- A HIVE creates a firewall protected DHCP network for the connected microscopes and other data sources.
- In a standard configuration, the HIVE provides 13 local 10GBit/s connections and can be connected to the local IT environment.
- An optional 2 x 10 Gbit uplink connection can be installed for high speed data traffic. This may be required to connect to local backup or permanent storage servers
|HIVE modules||NAS storage||Workstation||Server||Cluster|
|image processing (CPU + GPU)||-||-|
|basic storage 10 / 20 TByte|
|storage expansion module 50 TByte||?||?||?||?|
|storage expansion module 70 TByte||-||-||?||?|
|storage expansion module 100 TByte||-||-||?||?|
|storage expansion module 130 TByte||-||-||?||?|
|easy storage expansion||-||?||?||?|
|2×48 Gbit/s fast storage connection||-||-||-||-|
|on data visualization||-||?||?|
|private cloud based remote secure access||-||-||?|
|private cloud project management||-||-||?|
|private cloud user management||-||-||?|
|large data set sync across WAN||-||-||-||-|
|dedicated 10 Gbit/sec network||-||-||-|
|hardware secure firewall||-||-||-||?|
|self configuring network||-||-|
|user friendly (for non IT experts)||-||-||-|
|designed for image processing||-||?||-||?|
|silent cooling – lab ready||-||-||-||-|
|uninterruptible power supply for data safety||?||-||?|
|fastest on storage processing||-||-||-||-|
|active surge protection||-||-||-||-|
Yes, on Linux you should use Remmina, while on Mac you should download the Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App store.
A RAID system such as the ones in the CORE and DATA modules of the HIVE, has 2 main advantages :
There is a certain degree of redundancy (or duplication) of the data on the system, such that if a disk would start malfunctioning or completely stop working, your data would still be fully preserved, until the disk is replaced.
- faster data-access
The multiple hard-drives in the RAID system share the load for the read/write operations. This parallelization allows faster data-access compared to a single disk drive.
We can provide various declinations of the HIVE, below is some reference information, but feel free to get in touch with us for a custom configuration.
Typically, the CORE module is either equipped with 2 single-slot GPUs (such as a RTX A4000) or one double-slot GPU (ex. a RTX A5000).
Exceptionally, the CORE can also be equipped with 2 double-slot GPUs.
The GPU module, available as an additional stackable unit for the HIVE, similar to the DATA module, is classically equipped with 5 single-slot GPUs or 4 double-slot GPUs. More than one GPU module can be added to a HIVE.
So with single-slot GPUs only, that’s a total of 7 GPUs (2 + 5) on a single HIVE system, accessible for multiple users.
You can also “mix and match” with a double-slot GPU in the CORE, and single-slot GPUs in the GPU module.
By default, the HIVE is mounted in its own housing, including dedicated cooling, so it can be placed in any room of an institution.
Alternatively, the HIVE can also be provided without this housing for mounting in an existing rack.
Although some compatibility issues between Windows Server 2019 (the operating system of the HIVE) and OpenCL-based Fiji plugins (CLIJ, 3D script…) were observed with the default configuration of Fiji, it is still possible to run CLIJ on a HIVE. The solution consists in replacing the default Java Runtime Environment (JRE) shipped with Fiji with a custom version (see the detailed instructions here).
WHY HIVE ?
Designed for the pragmatic, biology-focused scientist, the HIVE platform boosts productivity in microscopy facilities and screening labs.
HIVE is a high speed centralized data repository that removes the need to constantly move or duplicate data sets in processing and analysis workflows.
Its modular design integrates high speed processing, visualization, remote access, project management, flexibility, data security, scalability and ease of use in one unit.
It saves time, space, costs and administrator workload.