- CORE for Processing
- NET for Communication
- DATA for Storage
… one scalable solution
What is HIVE?
Designed for the pragmatic, biology-focused scientist, the HIVE platform boosts productivity in microscopy facilities and screening labs.
HIVE is a High Speed Centralized Data Repository that removes the need to constantly move or duplicate data sets in processing and analysis workflows.
Its modular design integrates high speed processing, visualization, remote access, project management, flexibility, data security, scalability and ease of use in one unit.
It saves on time space, costs and administrator workload.
HIVE Module Configuration
The HIVE is a modular platform optimized for image processing and data handling. For each facility we combine the corresponding HIVE modules for optimal data processing efficiency. If you require more storage, processing power, dedicated network bandwidth or a custom solution, we can simply add more modules at any time.
High speed MICROSCOPE Example
- Lightsheet microscope
- Large format sCMOS
- Laser scanning confocal, Spinning disk, Screening microscope
- 3 HIVE modules recommended
Small core facility example
- 1 to 2 rooms
- up to 5 microscopes
- up to 3 Image Analysis workstations
- 3 HIVE modules recommended
Medium core facility EXAMPLE
- 3 to 4 rooms
- 5 to 10 microscopes
- up to 5 Image Analysis Workstations
- 5-7 HIVE modules recommended (depending on microscopes)
Large core facility EXAMPLE
- 4 to n rooms
- > 15 microscopes
- > 5 Image Analysis Workstations
- 6- n HIVE modules recommended (depending on microscopes)
HIVE with Backup
Backup of a HIVE can be done via dedicated Backup SW suites to
- a distant installed HIVE or
- to the local Central Data Repository.
Processing & Analysis
The HIVE´s operating System is Windows2012 Server R2.
Highly stable to work with huge amount of data and flexible basis for almost all Win7/8 software applications. The implemented processor, a 3,6Ghz Hexcore CPU, is the optimal basis for for imaging software relying on high count rates rather than vast number of cores.
Best performance can be achieved with:
For packages requiring multicore processing or in need of specific high-end-GPU we recommend a HIVE GPU Core with:
- up to 1 TByte DDR4 RAM
- 8 + 8 Core CPU/ 16 + 16 Threads
- up to P6000 with 24 GB DDR5 RAM
- up to 2 x 10 Gbit/s Copper Ethernet
The Hive Modules
A HIVE is a modular system based on three building blocks. Each one is an optimized unit for one of the three key data handling tasks in Imaging & Microscopy Applications: Computation – Networking – Storage.
HIVE CORE for Data Processing
- High-Performance CPU & GPU for best image processing & analysis
- VPN based remote Destop Access
- 2×10 Gbit/s copper or 2×10 Gbit/s optical fibre (optional)
- starting from 128GB DDR4 RAM
- 10TB Data safe storage with RAID5
- Starting from:
- 2,6GHz Octacore CPU
- Nvidia Quadro P4000
- Win Server 2012 R2 OS
- 10 TB RAID5
- 2×10 Gb Network
HIVE Net FOR Networking and Security
- Integrated Software Defined Network (SDN) router to create a secure HIVE network for hosting the connected devices
- 10Gbit/s 16-Port Network Switch with a 240GB/s backbone to ensure a reliable exchange of large data sets
- UPS battery buffered power stability system to stabilize the power supply and to ensure a safe shutdown in case of power outage to prevent loss of data
- Security and firewall provided by router
- 320 Gb/s backbone
- 12×10 Gb/s router
- Battery Backup for data safety
- Hardware based VPN Access
HIVE Data Data Repository
- RAID6 secure data storage with fast access to large data
- Resilient file system optimized for large data storage, reliable access to your data and maximum system stability
- User friendly operation through standard Windows functionality with no need for specialized IT knowledge
- Open Design allows for easy up-scaling of storage volume
- RAID6 array in 52, 78, or 104TB
- Connectivity via Host Bus Adapter @ 4x 12Gbit/sec
- Plug-and-play expansion of storage
- Data collection rates at 800 MB/s
- Hotswap Disk Replacement
- A HIVE creates a closed Firewall protected DHCP network for the connected microscopes and other data sources.
- In a standard configuration, the HIVE provides 10 local 10GBit/s connections and can be connected with a 10 Gbit/s line to the local IT environment.
- An optional 2 x 10 Gbit uplink connection can be installed for high speed data traffic. This may be required to connect to local backup or permanent storage servers
HIVE Modules can be combined in many combinations for even very daunting IT tasks.
|HIVE Modules||NAS storage||Workstation||Server||Cluster|
|image processing (CPU + GPU)||–||?||?|
|basic storage 10 / 20 TByte|
|storage expansion module 50 TByte||?||?||?||?|
|storage expansion module 70 TByte||–||–||?||?|
|storage expansion module 100 TByte||–||–||?||?|
|easy storage expansion||–||?||?||–|
|2×48 Gbit/s fast storage connection||–||–||–||–|
|on data visualization||–||?||?|
|private cloud based remote secure access||–||–||?|
|private cloud project management||–||–||?|
|private cloud user management||–||–||?|
|large data set sync across WAN||–||–||–||–|
|dedicated 10 Gbit/sec network||–||–||–|
|hardware secure firewall||–||–||–||?|
|self configuring network||–||–|
|user friendly (for non IT experts)||–||–|
|designed for image processing||–||–||–||–|
|silent cooling – lab ready||?||–||–|
|uninterruptible Power Supply for data safety||–||–||?|
|self healing filesystem||?|
|fastest on storage processing||–||–||–||–|
|single software license required (Zeiss/Arivis etc)||–||–|
|active surge protection||–||–||–||–|